The Palace and the Botanical Garden in Balchik, united in an architectural park complex, are a piece of land paradise and a tourist site on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast which is obligatory to visit. The complex emerged as a summer residence of the Romanian Queen Maria (1875-1938). The residence was completed in 1936.
As a part of the residence, in 1926 the Swiss botanist Jules Jani designed and built a park complex. 29 years later Sofia University "St. Kl. Ohridski "creates a botanical garden with an area of 65000 sq m.